Thursday, October 22, 2020

Research Blog: Commercial Conventions

     I am doing a commercial on Crayola Air-Dry Clay. The closest I can find of a commercial for this product is "Air Dry Clay Project Ideas" made by Crayola, but that does not count. Following this video, I have decided to make a commercial showing something I made using their product and making it Halloween themed as Halloween is right around the corner.

Since I cannot find an Air Dry Clay commercial made by Crayola, I have to use different brands' commercials with a similar product as the one I am using. I am also searching up Halloween themed commercials targeted towards a younger audience, and hoping to find one for clay.

Play-Doh commercials have the kids having fun using their products. It shows the children playing around with it and molding it into different shapes. This is the opposite of the plan I am having for my video, but this still helps when thinking of what I should do.

In a 1982 DAS Smurf Modelling clay commercial, the kids are using their products to create smurf dolls. Though the theme is off, this is somewhat similar to what I am planning.

Props would include their clay (obviously), and other products that they have that can interact with the clay. In a Play-Doh commercial, I see the kids using Play-Doh's other mold products to shape the clay into various objects.

Depending on the brand and the theme, the ambiance is different. To generalize clay commercials, I'd say most of them are upbeat and fun. It makes the audience feel inclined to buy their product to experience what the actors are portraying to experience. A majority of these ads use ethos I believe, where the advertiser looks trustworthy in endorsing said product.

Looking at Halloween-themed ads targeted towards a younger audience, I see similar patterns. Of course, their intention is to not scare the audience but to make Halloween seem fun. I am planning on doing something on the lines of this.

Crayola's logo automatically makes you think of something relating to school, or arts and crafts. This convention is easily recognizable.

In commercials relating to clay products, they are always showing their products' abilities, and how the actors are using it to appeal to a certain audience.






No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

      This is my CCR for my recent project. This film was very fun and a great experience for me to do.